Tuesday, September 25, 2012

I will follow.

In a past semester I took a Sociology class, something basic but required for my degree. I thrived in the class and while taking the course I learned all about the development of humans and their organization, the way they function in society, and the fundamental laws of their social relations and institutions. It was probably my favorite class, up until the day about religion. I am not one to bash on the beliefs of others and I don't expect everyone to believe the things I choose to. After listening to my Professor talk for over an hour on how religion is a joke and how humans mentally "created" an all powerful being so that they would feel better about things like death, pain and taxes I was enraged to say the least. This seems like a logical excuse right? But that's the funny part, it is all logic. Religion is so much more. I had a dear family friend pass away due to cancer several years ago. Something like this could tear a family apart. Rather than getting torn apart the family grew and the entire community came together as a whole. The neighbors and ward members worked hard so that the family could celebrate their last Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas together as a family in early October. As our dear friend neared death he could have become afraid and questioned his beliefs. But instead he grew closer to the Lord and his sweet wife. He sought forgiveness from those he wronged and advised his children to hold firm to the gospel. In his last days he grew to become someone we were all proud to have known. As my professor would say, "this family created a supernal being to help them cope with their loss". But no one could ever assume that humans created a God if they felt the true spirit that I feel when I attend church every Sunday. If the greatest scientist in the world was an atheist with a goal to tear me from my beliefs and prove everything I knew about the church to be wrong, he could definitely try. But I wouldn't stop exercising my faith, and I wouldn't start partaking of the fruits of the world and nothing he said could make me deny Christ. I was so angry after my hearing my professor give us every reason to give up our faith that I wanted to drag him into primary to hear the children singing so passionately about things that they don't fully comprehend yet. I wanted to dress him up like a girl and sneak him into Relief Society to listen to the women talking about serving each other with such diligence that my "all knowing" professor would be in awe. I wanted to sit him down during sacrament meeting so that he might  feel that which I feel every week as I listen to the silence. As I ponder while partaking of the bread and water that symbolize the selfless sacrifice of our Savior. Because I know if my professor experienced that, there is no way he could doubt the presence of God. 


A dear friend of mine has recently denounced the church. Whether it is a permanent choice in his life here or something temporary. I want to tell him how true the church is, and how saddened I am by his choice. I want him to know that he is loved. Whether you are hurting from present choices or past decisions, there is one and only one who understands completely what you are going through. For I know that when we are apart from God, he weeps for us. Life is hard, but the journey seems a lot easier when I know who I've got on my side. I am so grateful for my wonderful priesthood holder and the example he is to me. After dedicating our apartment there is a new spirit that resides there. I cannot wait for the blessings to come in the future, whether they are back to school blessings, baby blessings or blessings to heal. I am grateful for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

.

.